Labor Day Mattress Sales: Find a Great Deal in 2018
Another major holiday is right around the corner. We’re talking of course about Labor Day. It’s an opportunity to kick back, take it easy, and savor the end of summer. But it’s also prime time to score a great deal on a new bed. Particularly on specialty models like those made from memory foam.
Finding the best price means that you’ll need to do some comparison shopping. Each year Memory Foam Mattress Guide sifts through all of the incoming sales data. We compile them all in one post to make your search easier. That way you don’t have to run to tons of stores (or visit tons of websites) to find a great price.
And you won’t want to miss out. Many of the most popular memory foam brands and stores have some sort of deal during the end-of-summer holiday. Even those that rarely slash prices at other times of the year. Best of all? These offers are good. Many are comparable to what you’ll find on Black Friday. This guide delivers all the information you need to make a smart purchase. And come home with a super value.
We’ve already started combing through the offers. Some are freshly posted for 2018. Others are based on trends from years’ past. Keep checking back for updates as the holiday gets closer.
The Best Labor Day Mattress Deal: Amerisleep’s AS3
Most memory foam shoppers are after two things: High quality and a great price. Amerisleep is a relatively new online manufacturer that delivers on both. The brand’s plant-based memory foam beds have racked up more than 14,000 verified reviews. (With an average rating of 4.7 stars.) And a whopping 98% of Amerisleep customers say they would recommend the brand to a friend.
Best of all? You can save up to $200 on Amerisleep’s mattresses over the holiday weekend and recieve up to two free pillows using the code LD200.
Buy the AS3
The brand’s line of firm, medium-firm, and soft beds truly offer something for every sleeper. But, our recommendation is Amerisleep’s AS3. This model’s medium-firm surface is especially versatile. It’s a great choice no matter what your sleep style. Need more proof? Allure magazine rated it as the best mattress you can buy online. It doesn’t get much better than that.
If back pain is an issue, consider looking into Amerisleep’s AS2. This medium-firm mattress is specifically made for back and stomach sleepers. In fact, Business Insider declared it “the best mattress for back pain.” You really can’t get a more positive endorsement.
We’d encourage you to start your bed search with the AS2 or the AS3. Here are some more things that make Amerisleep’s products some of the best memory foam options on the market:
- Exceptional Bio-PurTM foam. A portion of Amerisleep’s proprietary foam comes from plant ingredients. It’s five times more breathable than traditional foams. That can help you stay cooler while you sleep. It also bounces back to its original shape within seconds—so there’s no sagging.
- HIVETM technology. HIVE stands for Harnessing Intelligent Ventilation and Energy. It provides targeted comfort and support—so your bed is firmer where you want it and softer where you need it.
- Celliant® Cover. These special mattress covers safely turn body heat into infrared energy. Our bodies then absorb this energy, promoting a temporary increase in local blood flow. The FDA determined Amerisleep’s Celliant cover helps increase comfort. It also helps promote restful sleep.
- Plant-based materials. Most memory foam mattress are made from foam that comes from 100% petroleum (crude oil). But Amerisleep substitutes some of the petroleum with plant-based castor oil instead. This oil is more sustainable and eco-friendly.
One more thing. These high quality beds are offered with a risk-free, 100-night sleep trial. If you’re not completely satisfied, just let Amerisleep know within 100 nights of your purchase. The brand will issue a full refund with no questions asked. They’ll also work with a local partner to pick up and recycle your mattress. So you don’t have to worry about re-packing it or sending it back.
In short, you really can’t go wrong with this brand. We’d recommend starting your search with Amerisleep’s AS2 or AS3. Or consider looking into the brand’s other mattresses. During the Labor Day holiday, all of Amerisleep’s products will be available for $200 off and with up to two free pillows. So there’s truly nothing to lose!
Why Labor Day Mattress Deals Are Worth It
It’s a fact that memory foam beds tend to be pricier than traditional innerspring models. There are lots of good reasons for this. Chief among them is that memory foam is a higher quality material. It tends to be more durable than coils. But foam beds don’t just last longer. Customers tend to rank them much more favorably.
End-of-summer discount events are a big deal for all mattress types. They’re an especially great chance to save on memory foam though. In fact, you can often find offers that rival Black Friday during this time of year. Retailers need to clear out summer’s inventory quickly. They also know that most people have some free time over the weekend to go shopping. As a result, they slash prices. And smart shoppers like you get to win big.
All of this means that you can find some really incredible discounts. Believe it or not, this holiday weekend is one of the best times to invest in memory foam period. Not only are the offers as good as they get. You also don’t have to deal with the stressful shopping mania that strikes over Black Friday. In other words? You can reap all of the money-saving benefits—but avoid the hectic hassle.
Buying a new memory foam bed calls for a little bit of research. But you don’t have to spend the entire holiday weekend shopping for the perfect bed. Here we’ve done much of the sorting for you. We’ll be posting new offers as they roll in. So when the holiday weekend gets started, you’ll be ready to strike.
Recommended Labor Day Memory Foam Mattress Sales for 2018
Budget is one of the most important factors for most shoppers. One way to quickly narrow down your search is to start by picking a price range. We’ll kick things off by looking at some of our recommended discounts in three different cost categories. There are great options available no matter what you’re looking to spend.
Yes, you can find high-quality memory foam models for under $1,000. In fact, there are plenty of options to pick from. Here are a few of our recommendations.
- Serta Perfect Sleeper Express Luxury Medium Firm at Macy’s, $897. The firmer profile is most suitable for back sleepers. Plus, Macy’s offers a good return policy. The main downside is that the data on quality and customer reviews is limited.
- Amerisleep AS1 at Amerisleep.com, $999. This model offers gentle firmness without being stiff. It’s another ideal option for back sleepers. Plus it’s made with plant-based memory foam. The AS1 has strong customer reviews, a solid return policy, and a generous warranty.
Many shoppers consider this the sweet spot for memory foam. The price range offers plenty of high quality options, but without the expense of a luxury model. A few of our recommendations:
- Amerisleep AS3 at Amerisleep.com, $1,199. We’ve already talked a bit about why we love this bed. It’s a medium-firm model that works for most sleeping preferences. Like Amerisleep’s other beds, the AS3 is made with plant-based memory foam. And it has over 5,000 positive reviews from happy customers. In fact, it’s the brand’s best seller.
- Sealy Conform Thrilled Plush Set at Sears, $1,649. The plush, high profile is best suited to side sleepers. You may want to check the return policy before buying though. There’s limited data on quality details and reviews for this model.
- iComfort Blue Max 1000 Cushion Firm mattress at Serta.com, $1,799. This is a medium-firm model that should work with most sleep preferences. (Although heavier side sleepers may find it too firm.) Serta offers a good return policy and the mattress earns good reviews. But the brand doesn’t share some important specifications like foam density.
Those looking for a top of the line model can consider the options in this category. Remember though, you don’t need to spend this much for quality memory foam. It’s possible to get great comfort for less.
- Tempur Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress at Tempurpedic, $3,249. This bed has a universal medium-firm feel. It remains one of the most popular models from the line and earns above-average reviews. But Tempurpedic provides very little information about the mattress itself. That makes value comparisons tougher.
- Dream Bed Lux LX710 mattress at Mattress Firm, $3,399. This model is on the very plush side, with a very thick layer of memory foam. It’s likely best suited to side sleepers, as back and stomach sleepers may find the ultra plush layers too soft.
The Best Labor Day Mattress Sales for Memory Foam
Most of the 2018 discounts and promotions will be announced a week or so before the holiday. And rest assured, there will be plenty options to choose from in all price ranges. We’ll continue to add new offers and details as the information come in. Be sure to check back often for updates.
Looking for a brand that isn’t listed? The retailer may not have released their promotion info yet. Or they may not have memory foam mattresses on sale this holiday. Some retailers and brands may only be offering innerspring or latex promos. There are plenty of online resources to help you learn more about these sales. But this guide focuses exclusively on memory foam.
We’ve verified the below sale data to the best of our ability. Know that the information is subject to change though. We’ve listed important details on layers and density whenever available. But sometimes these numbers aren’t listed. A “?” indicates that the manufacturer doesn’t provide this information. Keep in mind that missing specs can make it harder to compare quality among bed models.
Some stores are offering brand-wide sales. In these cases we’ve picked just one or two of the more popular models to compare below.
(Out of 5)
2″ 4lb plant MF
8″ foam core
3″ 4lb plant MF
2″ affinity layer
|Macy’s||Beautyrest Silver Golden Gate Pillow Top Mattress||$787||Med-firm|
?” gel MF + foam
|Macy’s||Macybed Lux Greenbriar 12″ Firm Set||$1,189||Firm|
?” ? lb gel MF
|Mattress Firm / Sleepys||Serta Perfect Sleeper Alesbury Plush Set||$397||Plush|
1” ? lb gel MF
|Mattress Firm||Simmons Beautyrest Black Nadia Med-Firm Set||$4,349||Med-Firm|
6” ? lb MF, 1″ foam, 7″ core foam
|Mattress Firm||Dream Bed Lux LX710 Mattress||$3,549||Plush|
6” ? lb MF, 3″ foam ‘springs’
|Sears||Sealy Conform Thrilled Plush Set||$1,649||Plush|
?” gel MF
|Serta||Serta iComfort Blue 300 Firm Set||$1,499||Firm|
0.75″ gel MF, 1″ MF, 1″ foam, 1.5″ MF
|Serta||Serta iComfort Blue Max 1000 Cushion Firm Set||$1,999||Med-Firm|
1″ gel MF, 1.5″ MF, 1″ foam, 1″ MF, 2″ foam
|Sleepy’s||Eclipse Victoria 10″ Plush Gel Mattress||$1,058||Plush|
1” ?lb gel MF
|Tempurpedic||Tempur Contour Rhapsody Luxe Mattress||$3,249||Med-firm|
?” ?lb MF
|Tempurpedic||Tempur Cloud Supreme||$3,249||Medium|
?” ?lb MF
Find the Best Labor Day Mattress Deals: Tips for Comparing Memory Foam Beds
It’s always a good idea to do your research before shopping for memory foam. (Or any major purchase, for that matter.) Especially if you’re buying memory foam for the first time. This unique material is quite different from the innerspring beds you might be used to. Knowing what you’re looking for and what to compare can help you get a sense of a bed’s value and quality. Here are the basics of what to pay attention to.
Density is the weight of one cubic foot of foam. Lower densities can feel easier to move on. They’re also likely to trap heat. The downside is that they’re less resilient—so they may not last as long. Higher densities offer greater pressure point relief and better durability. The down side is that they can trap more heat. Some people also find them more difficult to move on. (High density foams are sometimes described as creating a “sinking” feeling.) Denser foams also tend to be more expensive. In general, low density foams are those below 3.5 pounds. Medium density foams are 3.5 pounds to 5 pounds. And high density foams are 5 pounds and over. All three types can be comfortable. It really just depends on what you’re looking for in a bed.
Memory Foam Type
There are three key types of memory foam. Each one has different pros and cons, so learning about them can help you find your best fit.
- Traditional foam. Traditional foam beds are made from petroleum-based polyurethane. This type of foam is temperature-sensitive. It reacts by softening in the presence of heat. Traditional foam is known for being buoyant and good at relieving pressure. This comes from the foam’s ability to mold to a sleeper’s shape and distribute weight evenly.
- Plant-based foam. Plant-based foam replaces a portion of the petroleum products with plant-derived oils. It’s considered more eco-friendly, but there are other benefits as well. Some types of plant-foam are more breathable and retain less heat than traditional options. Certi-PUR® certified plant-based foams are also free of certain chemicals found in traditional foam. If these factors are important to you, plant-based foam may be a good choice.
- Gel foam. These traditional poly foams are layered or infused with gel. Brands claim that the addition of gel can sleep cooler than traditional foam. But they may not be as durable. And some sources suggest that gel may not be as cool as it claims. If you opt for gel, make sure the bed has a friendly return policy. Just in case the gel doesn’t live up to your expectations.
The foam core is what provides support in a memory foam mattress. This core isn’t made of memory foam. Instead, it consists of a regular, more rigid polyurethane foam. The core’s firmness and thickness will affect that bed’s firmness. Its density will play a role in support and durability. Core density in cheaper beds usually ranges from 1.3 to 1.7 pounds. Higher quality beds have core densities between 1.8 and 2.5 pounds. These numbers can be a big indicator of quality. So keep them in mind!
Every mattress sold in the U.S. must meet specific flame safety guidelines. This can be done with chemical flame retardants or by using special fabrics. If you’re concerned about chemicals or odors, look for a fabric flame barrier certified by Green Guard or Oeko Tex. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can off-gas from some of the materials used in these barriers. Some VOCs have been linked to health problems, so be sure you find out what’s used in your bed.
The mattress cover is the final major component of a memory foam mattress. Ideally, cover fabrics should be breathable enough to allow for unhindered air flow. Less breathable options can trap heat. Cotton, wool, rayon and similar fibers are usually the best bet. There are a variety of performance fabrics out there that may also be good options. But some can come with hefty prices. Regardless, cover fabrics should be stretchy so they don’t hinder the memory foam’s ability to contour.
Shopping the Labor Day Mattress Sales: Key Questions to Ask
Researching and comparing is key to finding a comfortable bed at a great price. Here’s a list of helpful reference questions that can help you narrow down the options. Shopping at a showroom? Consider printing this list and bringing it along with you. A knowledgeable salesperson should be able to provide the answers. If they can’t, you may want to think about going somewhere else.
- What is the density and thickness of each memory foam layer?
- What is the density and thickness of the core?
- What is the memory foam made from? Is it petroleum-based, gel-infused, or plant-based?
- Are there any additional materials or layers in the mattress? Is there anything between the memory foam and the sleeper? (Aside from the cover.)
- What is the firmness level of the bed? Do a lot of reviewers complain about the bed being too firm or too soft?
- What type of fire barrier or fire protection method is used?
- What is the mattress cover made of?
- How long do I have to return the bed if it doesn’t work out? What does the return process involve? Are there any fees involved?
- How long is the full coverage period of the warranty and what exactly is covered? How deep do impressions need to be before coverage kicks in?
It’s a good idea to keep notes on the answers to each of these. The info can get a little overwhelming—especially if you’re looking at more than a few models. Having everything written down can help you keep the facts straight. It’s also easier to compare the pros and cons.
MFMG’s Best Labor Day Mattress Deals
Going the memory foam route is a smart choice for sleep quality. These mattresses are the recommended category of beds according to owner reviews. So chances are you won’t be disappointed no matter what brand or model you go with.
However, we’re partial to Amerisleep. Both the AS2 and the AS3 have earned high ratings. In fact, many customers agree that these are some of the best memory foam beds on the market. And with the brand’s holiday offer, shoppers have a chance to snag these high-quality beds for $200 off the retail price and up to two free pillows. It’s an opportunity you won’t want to miss.
Of course, every sleeper has different needs. No matter what bed you’re leaning towards, make sure to research the specifications, the return policy, and the warranty. We also suggest checking online reviews to get more insight into a bed’s pros and cons. You should compare several options before committing, too.
The bottom line? Know what you’re getting into and make sure you’re buying a mattress that suits your purpose. Beds made with lower quality materials may not be durable enough for sustained, regular use. So think about what you really need, stay within your budget, and follow through. Sticking with these rules will ensure you find a great fit. This really is one of the best times of the year to shop for a new bed!